Familiarity heuristic description Essay Assignment Paper
Familiarity heuristic description Essay Assignment Paper
Assignment: Familiarity heuristic description
Describe how the familiarity heuristic (familiar items are seen as superior to those that are unfamiliar) in conjunction with mental set can contribute to errors in perception when it comes to solving social conflicts. Do you feel there is a way to reduce or prevent these errors? Explain and give specific examples. Support your reasoning with information from the text and other course materials.
Reply to 2 people
Baiann Hweidi RE: Discussion 2
Familiarity heuristic is described as, “judging events as more important or frequent because they are more familiar in memory,” (Ashcraft). The familiarity heuristic is based on using past actions as a guide or structure for how we behave in new situations or social settings. We favor familiar things over strange or foreign things. Familiarity is associated with safety and having no risk, versus trying new things, (Feldman). This is essential because it allows us to save time when entering a new situation because we use what knowledge we have in the past of how we used to behave to figure out the correct behavior to use in a social setting we have never been in before. However, sticking with what you know and have always done can create some issues and errors in perception. Some psychologists believe that this type of bias that we have in our life can lead us to choose self-defeating options in our daily life or routine. We as humans are more likely to choose those safe and automatic choices in our head, specifically when we are under pressure, and bad choices can increase our stress, which will lead to a never-ending cycle of making bad decisions, (Ashcraft). For example, a group of scientists at Standford University conducted an experiment. These scientists brought in a group of men and women to solve puzzles. One group was told that they had 4 minutes to complete the puzzle, while the others were told that they had as much time as they needed. Then all of them had to choose between what two puzzles they wanted to complete. One puzzle was short, and the other was long. All of them were told this: the shorter puzzle was created by a complete stranger, while the longer puzzle was created by someone that they knew. You would think that it wouldn’t matter who created the puzzle because the goal is for you to finish the puzzle quickly. Yet, every single person chooses the longer puzzle because it was created by someone that they were familiar with. This type of preference literally made no sense, logically, however being that they were familiar with the person, they choose the longer puzzle. All of the volunteers who participated in the experiment stated that the reason they choose that puzzle was that it seemed like less of a risk and safer, (Herbert). This is a prime example of how familiarity heuristic combined with mental set can cause errors in perception when it comes to solving social conflicts. I don’t know if there is a way to reduce these errors, because I believe that we as humans are innately drawn to safer things. And these safer things are things that we are familiar with.
Order now for original nursing paper on Familiarity heuristic description Essay Assignment Paper from Nursing Academic Writers
The time to relieve your academic stress is now. Never again should you struggle with your pressing nursing assignments when Nursing Academic Writers got you covered. Our Nursing Academic Writers writing service got your back!
If you need help with your nursing paper, We are your ultimate nursing assignment writing helper. Our professional Nursing Academic Writers are always ready to tackle even the hardest of nursing papers. Get in touch. Order today and Always.
Best site that aces top Nursing academic papers and the best place to get nursing papers done.
Our Nursing Academic Writers are well experienced in writing nursing papers and are thereby able to tackle any topic around Nursing, Biochemistry, Biology, Chemistry, Pedagogy, Gynecological, Medicine & Health, Healthcare, Nutrition, or Pharmacology.
We guarantee customer satisfaction to all our clients.
Order nursing papers crafted by our top nursing writers for a guaranteed A++ nursing paper.
Let our Nursing Academic Writers be there for you. Our Nursing Academic Writers writing service comprises 100% Plagiarism-Free Papers, On-Time Delivery, 24/7 Support, and Full Confidentiality.
Factors that make us special:
- We handle assignments for all nursing courses. So, don’t worry about the topic of the essay you want, we are ready to help you with your assignment regardless of the course or topic.
- Our writers read, understand, and follow one by one, the instructions provided to deliver the most accurate essays. We offer the correct form and style of essays.
- You can be sure the paper will have proper references based on the type of citation style you choose.
- You can always work with the same writer you liked. You can include the writer’s ID in the order form and we will ensure your expectations are met. We have writers who are experienced in all areas of study.
- Affordable services. Relax! we are not expensive, by the way, our prices are fair for the writers, but affordable to you as a customer. We will offer you a discount to try our services. Become part of our loyalty discount program by coming back for more and more services.
- We have a very flexible pricing system. The good news is that we let you choose from five quality levels, from High School to Ph.D. We also let you choose from different deadlines, from 5/6 hours to 20 days.